Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Carpel Tunnel

So everything is going great with the pregnancy still except for my new ailment.  I am a carpel tunnel syndrome sufferer!  I have constant numbness, pain, and tingling in both hands now (started in just the left).  My hands have swollen to the point where they can no long expand any more.  They would burst if any more fluid was allowed!  My feet are starting to swell to, but that is still under control.  My OB sent me to a orthopod for help.  Yesterday, I received two cortisone injections (one in each wrist) that is supposed to help.  It should take about 3-5 days for relief to come, i hope i am on the day 2 plan!  so far not much difference, although my left hand is better, but my right hand is much worse.  The doctor did say he was near the tendons in the right hand, so i am hoping they are just sore and will get better.  I also sleep with wrists splints.  Drew thinks it is funny to call me his little rollerblader when he gets home.

Other than that, things are well.  I met with the pediatricians last week and really liked the practice.  It was like a mini interview panel, but i think it is great to get a chance to pick your doctor like that.  We also went on the hospital tour.  I work at the hospital i am delivering at, but it was really good for Drew to see the LDR and patients rooms and kind of see what will go on when its "go time."  It is getting a lot closer, 50 days left!

1 comment:

Dave Gerhart said...

I had carpel tunnel in both wrists. Playin the guitar for worship services was getting excruciating, so I elected to have the "open" surgery on my left hand. I'm really pleased with the result! The down side is that I was in a cast for 6 weeks.

I haven't done anyting with my right hand yet. If you wear the splints at night, you'll notice a big difference within 6 months and you won't need the surgery. If you do the surgical route, go with the arthroscopic surgery; you're in and out and have use of your hand the next day! That's what I'll do with the right hand when and if that time comes.