Sunday, December 30, 2007

on call

sometimes being on call is such a drag. you are a prisoner to the stupid pager and phone. one little beep and you're off running. so here's how it works. i am on call for the weekend. so that means anytime from 6pm on friday until 730 monday morning, anytime someone has a heart attack or other catastrophic event, I (and 2 other staff members and the doctor) drive our little butts into St. Joes to "save the day" I know it sounds like i hate my job right now and i really dont. it is a very rewarding feeling to help people and see them walk out of the hospital A-OK, but sometimes it is so frustrating to get called in. Take this morning for example... I got called in at 630am, we worked until 915ish and i was headed home, excited to make it in time for church. I stopped home real quick. literally dragged Drew out of bed and snuck in during opening prayer. I felt "safe" since we were just at work, but it didnt even matter... 2 songs into worship my little tether went off, and i was busted trying to enjoy myself. Off to St. Joe's again. So to any of you that were graced with my presence for about 7 minutes at church this morning, "Hi, how are ya, how was christmas? mine was great, what are you doing for new years? we're going to Oxford, ok, see you next week and bye" sums up a few quick conversations i am sure i would have had.
Looking forward to uninterrupted, pagerless, phoneless, leashless church next week.

No comments: